Becker County, Minnesota Genealogy
Becker County, Minnesota ancestry and genealogy research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources that can help you trace your own Becker Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Becker County was founded on March 18, 1858 (Organized in 1871) from Cass County and Pembina County. The county was named in honor of George Loomis Becker (1829-1904), mayor of St. Paul, 1856; state senator, 1868-71.
The Becker County Seat is situated in Detroit Lakes and the county government website is http://www.co.becker.mn.us/
Locales adjacent to Becker County are Mahnomen County (north), Clearwater County (northeast), Hubbard County (northeast), Wadena County (southeast), Otter Tail County (south), Clay County (west), Norman County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Becker County are made up of Audubon, Callaway, Detroit Lakes, Frazee, Lake Park, Ogema, Pine Point, Wolf Lake.
Townships Include Atlanta, Audubon, Burlington, Callaway, Carsonville, Cormorant, Cuba, Detroit, Eagle View, Erie, Evergreen, Forest, Green Valley, Hamden, Height of Land, Holmesville, Lake Eunice, Lake Park, Lake View, Maple Grove, Osage, Pine Point, Riceville, Richwood, Round Lake, Runeberg, Savannah, Shell Lake, Silver Leaf, Spring Creek, Spruce Grove, Sugar Bush, Toad Lake, Two Inlets, Walworth, White Earth, Wolf Lake Townships.
Becker County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in finding out about your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Becker Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Becker Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Becker Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. Becker Co. territorial and state censuses exist for the following years: 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895 and 1905. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to aid with your research.
Becker County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Becker County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Minnesota Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Minnesota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Becker County Historical Society, 714 Summit Ave; P.O. Box 622, Detroit Lakes, MN 56502; Phone: (218) 847-2938
- Lake Park Area Historical Society, c/o Carol Midthune, PO Box 193, Lake Park, MN 56554-0045
- Northwest Minnesota Historical Center, 1104 7th Avenue South, Minnesota State University Moorhead, Moorhead, Minnesota 56563
- Becker County, Minnesota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Becker County
- Becker County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Becker County
- USGenWeb Archives for Becker County (usgwarchives.net)
Becker County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently overlook the benefits of Becker County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in Minnesota courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the aspirations and worries of many Minnesota men and women.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Becker County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
You need to get in touch with the clerk's office to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or seeking information because of occasionally changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many staff will help persons in locating the resources, however it's up to the man or women to perform the researching.
The below details shows whatever marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and court records will be in Becker County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records data in this county. At some time Becker County was attached to Stearns County, Crow Wing County and Douglas County for county and or judicial purposes. Some early records may be found there.
- Becker County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 915 Lake Avenue, Detroit Lakes , MN 56501
- Phone: (218) 846-7305
- Becker County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Birth / Death Records: 1871 (It is no longer necessary to go to the registrar's office of the county where the birth or death took place. You may go to a registrar's office in any county in Minnesota for births that took place during of after 1900 and for deaths that took place during or after 1997)
- Marriage Records: 1871
- Land Records: 1871
- Becker County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Probate Records: 1871
- Court Records: 1871
- Becker County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
- Minnesota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Minnesota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Minnesota Historical Records
- Databases include Minnesota Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Minnesota Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Minnesota Voter Lists & Census Records; Minnesota Immigration & Emigration Records; Minnesota Obituary Records; Minnesota Military Records; Minnesota Family Tree Records; Minnesota Pictures; Minnesota Stories, Memories & Histories; Minnesota Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Becker County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources pertaining to Becker County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is simply a list which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own preferred Becker County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Becker Co. MN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Becker Co. MN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Minnesota
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Minnesota, Births and Christenings Index, 1840-1980 (search.ancestry.com) This database contains an index of details extracted from more than 1 million records of Minnesota births, baptisms, and christenings.
- Minnesota, County Birth Records, 1863-1983 (familysearch.org) Digital images of birth records from various county courthouses. Some birth registers are for cities or townships. The year range varies by county.
- Minnesota Birth Index, 1935-2002 (search.ancestry.com) This database is an index created by the Minnesota Department of Health to approximately 4.2 million births occurring in Minnesota between 1935 and 2002.
- Minnesota, Marriages Index, 1849-1950 (search.ancestry.com) This database is an index extracted from more than 450,000 marriage records from Minnesota.
- Minnesota, Divorce Index, 1970-1995 (familysearch.org) Index of divorces from the Minnesota Department of Health in St. Paul.
- Minnesota, Death Index, 1908-2002 (search.ancestry.com) This database is an index of deaths recorded by the state of Minnesota from 1908 to 2002.
- Minnesota, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1990 (familysearch.org) Name index to death and burial records from the state of Minnesota.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Becker Co. MN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Becker Co. MN Census Records
Becker Co. MN Cemeteries & Graveyards
- See Also Statewide Cemetery Links for Minnesota
- Becker Co., Minnesota Graves (findagrave.com)
- Becker County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Minnesota Cemetery Inscription Index, Select Counties (search.ancestry.com) It contains the names of nearly 600,000 persons. Researchers will find birth date, death date, name of cemetery and, in some cases, the closest living relative.
- Becker Co., Minnesota Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Becker County, Minnesota (topozone.com)
- Becker Co., Minnesota Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
Becker Co. MN Church & Bible Records
Becker Co. MN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Becker Co. MN General and History Websites
Becker Co. MN Immigration & Naturalization
Becker Co. MN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Becker Co. MN Military Records
Becker Co. MN Schools & Directories